What are you looking at?

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The inverse relationship between education, creativity and common sense

I have a hypothesis: The further you go in school, the less creative you are and the more common sense gets pushed out of your head to splatter in a wasted heap on the ground.

That explains why lawyers write the way they do. And speak the way they do, for that matter. I actually caught myself using the word "heretofore" in a conversation the other day. I have been guilty of over-explaining, over-analyzing and over-complicating virtually everything. It takes fifty words to say what my creative writing-self can say in three.

Did you know that after a cop gets done with cop school, he or she never gets out of a car again? It's always "I exited the vehicle."

Doctors tell you that the prognosis for recovery is very poor given the circumstances. That means someone is going to die.

Lawyers, well, feel free to submit your own lawyer jokes for this one. I'm taking the afternoon off. Lawyer-wise, anyway.

I have received some feedback on my novel, Martian Angels Have Red Wings. One person I gave it to likes the story a lot and has pointed out a few question marks. I'm still waiting on a few others to send me feedback before I re-edit the whole thing and send it out again. I am running out of agents to query.

Speaking of queries, look at the one on the page. It's for the book. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment